Am I a Candidate?
Weight Loss Solutions
If you are interested in learning more about bariatric surgery and would like to discuss your options, the first step is to schedule a new patient consultation with Dr. Barnes and he will determine if you are a good candidate.
Weight Loss Surgery Candidates
Surgery is a very effective option for individuals that have struggled with chronic obesity and have been unsuccessful after attempting other methods of weight loss.
Weight Loss Surgery Qualifications Associated With Most Major Insurance Providers
- The number one candidacy requirement for obesity surgical procedures is that the patient must be considered morbidly obese. Individuals with a body mass index of 35 or higher are typically considered morbidly obese.
- Weight loss surgery candidates also typically show signs of health complications associated with obesity such as Heart Disease, Obstructive Sleep Apnea, Diabetes, Gerd, Depression, and Anxiety.
- Candidates must have attempted traditional methods of weight loss such as diet and exercise.
- Weight loss surgery candidates must be psychologically prepared to make permanent changes in their lifestyles. Commitment to a new, healthier way of life is essential to ensure the benefits of obesity surgery continue for a lifetime.
- Many insurance companies require clinical documentation to prove of a history of morbid obesity.
Cash Pay Surgical Options
Cash pay patients will be evaluated by Dr. Barnes to determine if the surgery is medically necessary. The qualifications vary and are determined on a case to case basis.
As a prospective candidate for weight loss surgery, Barnes Bariatric will require that you undergo a nutrition and psychological exam. A psychological evaluation is also required by many insurance companies. This routine review is performed to rule out severe emotional difficulties and determine whether you understand the lifestyle changes involved with weight loss surgery. Problems such as depression, anxiety and binge eating are very common among weight loss surgery patients and in most cases do not affect your access to surgery. You will be offered recommendations to address your relationship with food and find additional coping mechanisms. Our weight loss treatment nutrition and psychological counseling program is designed to ensure you have the greatest chance of success with weight loss surgery.